Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cultivating Abundance in the Age of Inequality

Are new age beliefs such as cultivating an attitude of abundance and concrete activism mutually exclusive? Leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi suggest that having both makes the most effective change-maker.

My hometown of Athens, Georgia sure could use some abundance, right now. I remember coming across this article  about Athens' poverty rate during my final year at Naropa University and getting all fired up. If I was going to become a helper, I wanted to become a helper in my home community.

I was lucky enough to obtain a position at The Banyan Tree Center, where I am happy to report that I love what I do. And, I'm still aware of my desire to get involved in larger community building efforts. So, my eyes and ears are open to who is already having a positive impact and how I might lend a hand.

Gandhi said, "poverty is the cruelest form of violence;" we can change this.

Here are some folks who are already doing big things:

Community Connection
Project Safe
The Cottage
Athens Health Network

How can we be the change we wish to see in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment