Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Intimate Partner Violence- All of Our Problem

Why does she stay? We've heard it a hundred times before. Putting the blame on the survivor of domestic violence, or intimate partner violence, removes the focus from the issue at hand: how we can all work towards creating a society that does not tolerate or expect such behavior. 

The Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence has a wonderful website full of useful information for survivors, their advocates, friends, and loved ones. One of the many helpful resources you will find on this website is this list of Myths versus Facts about intimate partner violence.

A quick word on words: I use the language intimate partner violence because I want to convey that this type of violence happens to anyone- not just to straight couples or married couples, as the phrase domestic violence might conjure up for some folks.

When I imagine living in a world where everyone feels safe to be themselves, I imagine a world with a lot less violence. For this reason, I believe that it is part of my work to help dispel stereotypes. Complex problems such as intimate partner violence require creative solutions- but I believe that we are up to the task.

In Athens, Project Safe is a great resource. For more information, call the confidential hotline: (706) 543-3331.


No comments:

Post a Comment