Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What's in a Name? Welcome to Many Colors!

This blog is named after a journal entry I wrote in college which has stuck with me:

Take yourself as you are
In all your moments of contradiction
You were born in many colors
Not just two dimensions

I wrote these words as part of a poem during a difficult time. I had just switched from studying psychology to studio art and was finding much value in the creative process. Today, as a counselor, I still contemplate the futility in trying to be someone we are not. The poem went on:

You could sit on the fence
But that's not really living

And two can play at that game
Til all the feelings go away
But what's the use pretending?
Life's worth living anyway

What's the use pretending? Life's worth living. When I read these words I am reminded of the depths of my despair- and my resilience.

For most of us, learning to love ourselves takes practice- but, I believe it holds the key to our happiness.

However you nourish yourself, I wish you well on the path! If there's anything that this poem reminds me, it's that you can trust your open heart.







No comments:

Post a Comment